The Florida Botanical Gardens Foundation (FBGF) is a fund raising entity (501c3) created to provide leadership and financial support for the Florida Botanical Gardens. The FBGF began as the Friends of the Gardens in 1993 for the purposes of encouraging interest in and support for a botanical garden in Pinellas County.
The Friends became the FBGF in 2003 as a cooperative public private partnership with the intent to enrich the cultural and educational opportunities of the community at a significantly reduced cost to the taxpayers. The FBGF has successfully partnered with Pinellas County to maintain, expand and improve the Gardens since then.
Our Mission: To create, sustain and grow a world-class botanical garden.
Our Vision Statement: To be a premier destination that provides nourishment for the spirit.
Protect the environment and instill an appreciation for future generations.
- Allow easy public accessibility to the gardens and its activities, preferably at no extra cost.
- Maintain effective partnerships with Pinellas County Parks Department, Pinellas County Extension and all stakeholders.
- Provide a peaceful oasis.
FBGF is managed by an all volunteer Board of Directors who strive to make the Gardens a place for everyone to enjoy.
We sponsor events during the year that bring in both local residents and international visitors. Our "Holiday Lights in the Garden" and “Gift and Plant Sale” are two of our most important events. These events are both our gift to the community and a fund raiser for the Gardens.
The FBGF raises funds to support the gardens through a number of ways.
- Monetary donations
- Planned giving bequeaths
- Memorials and Tributes
- Gift Shop
Follow mascot, Flora through an exciting educational walk through the Gardens searching for butterflies to wildlife. Each stop provides information on a range of flora and fauna.
Expansions and Renovations:
- The Vinery. A new addition to the Gardens that highlights multiple vines that grow in our part of Florida.
- Expansion of the Tropical Fruit Garden. This 4,000 sq foot addition has allowed us to display many more different fruit trees that will grow well in our area.
- Expansion of the Butterfly Garden. Increased to over 7,000 sq feet, this garden is now one of the largest outdoor butterfly gardens in Florida.
- Renovation of the west side gardens. Renovation of gardens is essential in any garden. Over grown and lacking proper walkways, this renovation restored a large portion of the west side gardens to include the entrance making it easier to walk through the area on ADA compliant walkways and new plantings.
Maintenance and Repairs:
- Restoration of painted benches and chairs.
- Cleaning and painting of buildings and walls throughout the East Side gardens.
- Replacement of numerous walkways allowing for a safer ADA compliant access to the Gardens
- Removal of shell pathways and replaced with concrete ADA compliant walkways throughout the Gardens.